Grand Finals 2011 Match Reports


Week Four - Grand Final

Seniors with Dale Bower

Noble Park proved far superior in all areas of the game, we hung in there in the 1st quarter and 2nd quarter .But they were able to open us up for a short stint in each quarter and score heavily in that time. A  37 point deficit at half time was never going to be easy to pull back. Our boys stuck to the task but we were out-classed by a great team.

Reserves with Chris Adolph

Well we entered the Big Dance without having experienced a loss all year. We went in well prepared having done our homework and our warm up was as good as it had been all year with a good feeling amongst the group. However we came up against a side would were at there best and it showed from the outset as they jumped to an early lead and never gave it up. To Our boys credit we never gave in and at the final siren we lost by the smallest of margins. We all learned the hardest of lesson about what is required in order to win a premiership.

I leave knowing that this group/club is on the verge of greatness and if the boys stick together then that elusive premiership isn't far away and when it does i will be just as happy as everyone else. I would like to thank Phil and Committee, first for allowing me the opportunity and second for there continued support over the past 2 years. I would also like to thank all the support staff and helpers around the club, you all do a fantastic job.

Colts with Sean Kavanagh

After a flawless run into the finals we were very expectant of putting up a good show against the very dangerous Blackburn outfit. They had been the only team to defeat us in the home and away season and we took plenty away from that game. With the weather guaranteeing a hard and fast track, that was ideal for us after Blackburn had played every week of the finals. Kicking into the breeze in the first quarter we started very well to take a small lead into the first break. Blackburn worked a little harder in the 2nd term and by half time had taken a 2 point lead. We reviewed the areas we need to focus on as most of our KPIs were still pointing our way, our clearance work and kicking efficiency had to improve.

The 3rd quarter as it is known ‘the premiership’ quarter proved just that , we really turned it on and if we had of kicked straight the game could have been over. By the final break we had turned a 2 point deficit into a 32 point lead led by Delpapa , Scott , Tasker and the cool heads of Casey, McConnon, Bain, Reynolds and Policha. With 30 minutes of hard work to go, a flag was in sight. But 8 crazy minutes later the margin was 7 points, Blackburn had exploded out  of the blocks and all the momentum was going their way. With a few positional changes, Goullet to full forward and Holst to Centre Half Back , it had immediate results when Joel Goullet took a great mark and goaled from a tight angle. As quick as the momentum had swung Blackburn’s way, things started to go our way. Jacob Hill took 2 solid marks across half back and repeatedly pumped the ball forward. Before we knew it we were 20 points back in front, when the beautiful siren sounded.

It marked the first Colts Premiership since 2004 after being Runners up in 2005, 2006, 2009 and Preliminary Finalist in 2007. Congratulations to David Delpapa who was named Blue Ribbon Medallist for Best on Ground in a dominant game! To everyone who contributed to our year both on and off field I say thank you! It has been one hell of a ride and I have enjoyed every minute. With the league changing to U/19s next year we have the opportunity to once again challenge for the ultimate prize!